How to prepare for an exam
- First determine what the requirements will be for the exam you desire to take. To do this go to the following ICC webpage: http://www.iccsafe.org/education-certification/certifications-and-testing/national-exam-info-registration/
- Simply scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the exam you wish to take. If you then select “Content” on the far right it will give you a detailed break-down of the material that will be on the test.
- Instead of selecting “Content”, if you were to choose “Bulletin PP” it will give you a listing of all of the ICC exams that provides brief break-down of the material covered on each exam. The nice thing about “Bulletin PP” is that it clearly tells you what books you are able to bring into the exam with you.
- If you need to obtain a book for your exam most references can be purchased at: www.iccsafe.org/store
- Plan on studying at least TWO hours for every ONE hour of class.
How to register for an exam
- ICC contracts with Pearson Vue testing centers to proctor the exams. The only Utah locations are currently in Ogden or Draper with others surrounding the state in Evanston, WY, Las Vegas, NV, and Grand Junction, CO.
- If you need to request special testing accommodations (paper-and-pencil testing) call the ICC at 1-888-422-7233 ext. 5552 to request the application.
To register for an exam with Pearson Vue go to: http://www.pearsonvue.com/icc/
- Create an account or log into an existing account.
- Select your test and then choose which location you will be taking the exam.
- Make sure you schedule the right exam! (i.e. 2015 code versus 2012 code)
Before you go take the exam
- Make sure to wear casual attire when taking the exam.
- Get a good night sleep and a healthy breakfast for the day of the test.
- Tabs are HELPFUL!! (They must be permanent so sticky tabs should be stapled in place.)
- You can write notes within the code and highlight items that should stand out.
- YOU CAN DO IT!! Belive in yourself!
After the exam
If you did not pass
- It is not the end of the world...Even the most knowledgeable code officials have failed ICC exams.
- Make sure to keep the printout that they give you. It will tell you what areas you may need to study more.
- If you would like to see
If you did pass
- Congratulations! Are you ready for your next certification?
- Remember that you will need to renew your certification every three years. To find out how this is done, go to: www.iccsafe.org/renewals